Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sunday meetings

Had an awesome sacrament meeting today! Talk subjects were Avoiding Contention. Wow, I needed that today. I love my kids but sometimes I'd like to wack them in the head with a shovel. :)
Here are a few notes from Per Anderson's and Kari Stolworthy's talks, notes that I plan on contemplating in my quiet time this week:

Three rules:
-Do not be the cause of contention
-Do not REACT to contention
-Kill contention with love

Think twice before you speak and three times before you act.

-Contention is the tool of the adversary
-Peace is the tool of the Savior

How do we avoid contention in our lives? We show love for God by obeying His commandments and we show love for others by charitable acts of kindness.

Closing hymn: LET US OFT SPEAK KIND WORDS TO EACH OTHER (HYMN #232)

Also, today our ward mission leader (Mark Donohoo) in gospel essentials class shared a few pages from a Gordon B. Hinkley book of daily messages called "Stand A Little Taller". I think I'll get that book.

Charity begins at home. We 've all heard that phrase but today I wondered what it really means. I think it means that if we don't love with a charitable heart, those that we live with first, then how can we truly love others. If peace and contentment is not first in our homes, then how can we bring it to others. That's a lot for me to chew on, and definitely an area I want to improve in our home.

* a quick note about iPhone Scripture APPs. I had one for a while that was free. It had the standard works and a recent upgrade gave the app the topical guide. It is pretty great for FREE. However, I recently pays $14.99 for an APP called SCRIPTURES (it has the Christus statue on the APP label. This thing rocks! Standard works in it entirety, plus ALL church manuals, hymn book, conference talks, etc. etc. Well worth the money. Of course, everyone in church probably thinks I'm texting through the entire meeting. Whatcha gonna do? :)

I'd love to hear what moved you in your Sunday meetings today.

Have a great Sunday! Jason



-- Post From My iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home