Sunday, May 17, 2009

TIME OUT FOR WOMEN - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Ron and I flew out to Edmonton, Alberta on Friday for a show on Friday night. Wow, was it fun. Sister Wendy Nelson (Elder Nelson's wife) spoke first, then Ron and I performed some, then Sheri Dew spoke, then Ron and I played for another 40 minutes. It was a wonderful experience. I was so happy to see Sheri again, as it has been a while since we have spoken in person. While in Colorado the weekend before, I had met with President Pfile, the mission president there, and he told me this unbelievable story of two of his missionaries serving in Kansas a couple of week before. They were driving in a truck with a Kansas farmer who was in his 80s, when they were hit broadside by a semi-truck that came out of nowhere, striking them on the passenger side. Both missionaries and the elderly farmer were thrown a considerable distance from the car, all exiting out the passenger window. Amazingly all were alive but VERY seriously injured. One latino elder had broken legs but crawled a considerable distance to his companion who was in worse shape than he was. He laid his mangled hands on his companions head and gave him a blessing. I am crying writing this. God bless the missionaries! To my amazement, president Pfile told me that the elderly farmer was Brother Dew, Sheri's father. I called Sheri's sister Cindy right away and shared with her my love for her family. I was then so happy to be able to talk to Sheri this past weekend and learn that while her father was still in bad shape, he was still living. Their family could use some extra prayers right now.
Let me say, the church is alive and well in Canada and the women that I met there were unbelievable examples us! Many drove for hours and hours to be there. I think I heard average driving time 4 hours with some as many as 12 hours. Now that's dedication! One lady told me that she had never been in a ward in her whole life, only branches and that she drives 3 hours one way to do her visiting teaching. I LOVE IT! in fact she knows the wolf pack that raised Shania Twain...ok that last part is not true. :o)

Keep on TREKKIN' Canada! We love you! - Jason Deere

Please go to www.qik.com/nashvilletribute to see QIK videos from the weekend in Canada.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home