Sunday, October 11, 2009

Lucky Man

I consider myself a lucky man. There are many reasons, but sitting on this plane to California right now I have a couple of reasons on my mind. In the summer of 2003 I was called to meet with my Bishop, Mark Welsh. He asked me to teach early morning seminary. That pit in my stomach came immediately. I was a busy man (we all are right....unless you are a busy woman). I accepted the assignment having no idea what I was in for.
What an idiot I would have been to say no to Bishop Welsh. I am forever changed for the better because of those years. I wrote and recorded the JOSEPH: A NASHVILLE TRIBUTE TO THE PROPHET album that first fall, which has definitely changed me forever as I have traveled the world testifying of the Restoration with my closest friends. But, as I think back on those 24 students who came faithfully to our classroom in the stake center each morning, I am lucky to have shared some of their lives with them. I don't see them all often but I do love it when I do. Beth and Ann Peach lost their mother to cancer while they were my students. We all mourned that deeply, but we have seen them grow into beautiful women as Beth has returned from a mission and Ann is at BYU Hawaii. I love to see them come home. Ann is always so tan! Stevie Ross found herself the love of her life and is married. This past pioneer day, NTB did a show in the American Fork Amphitheater. In attendance was Rachel Stolworthy (she brought with her a pack of friends from BYU). She and her sister Danielle were my students. I could see Rachel's smile from a mile away in that crowd. I attended Steven Hotard's mission homecoming from the Phillipeans. Another one of my students, Kelsi Koford, drove to Nashville to attend that homecoming as well (she and Steven were high school sweethearts-wonder what is up with them now?). Lucky me, I got to see them both. At a recent show at BYU Idaho, there was Shalice Oman at the show, looking happy as ever. And most every Sunday I get to see RV who still lives in our ward. His real name is Bud, but I have always called him RV, for radio voice because his is as deep as a canyon. I recently attended the mission homecoming of one Allan boy only to see the other have his farewell soon after. Both my students.
A few weeks ago I got a call from Elder Mitch Sherwood, who is in his final month of his mission in the California San Bernadino Mission. He and his mission President, Elder Sanchez, booked us (NTB) to do two shows in the boundary of that mission tonight and tomorrow night. Again, I get the joy of seeing another one of my students, in full stride, in the last week of his mission.
To all my former students, wherever you are. I love you. I am lucky to know you!


-- Jason Deere - Post From My iPhone

1 Comments:

Blogger danielle said...

Loved reading this Jason.
We were so so lucky to have YOU. I can't even begin to let you know of the wonderful impact you had on me alone & I know how much the other kids loved and respected you too. Thanks for taking us rowdy kids. You were such a huge part in my testimony growing!

October 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home